How to Deal With Sea Sickness on a Cruise

by - 5:00 PM



Let's start this off by saying I suffer from motion sickness, badly! I get sick on 15 minute ferry rides, long winding car trips, turbulent flights and definitely can't handle motion simulators or rides that spin. But I have noticed, thanks to the 10+ cruises I've done, I think I'm beginning to handle it better.

So, if you're thinking of going on a cruise and don't know if you'll suffer from motion sickness/sea sickness, here are a handful of tips that should help you avoid feeling sick at sea.

Tip #1
On my very first cruise I got very sick, and you might not know this but generally once you begin to get sea sickness and start being physically ill, it's hard to stop. I couldn't keep food day, tablets down, liquids down and it was pretty much at every bump or big movement of the ship, I was nauseous, it wasn't fun.

So off I went to the medical centre. (Guys important reminder, GET TRAVEL INSURANCE, this place is expensive and you don't want to be caught out). There were like 50 other people queued up all waiting for the one thing, a cure to us all being sick. In I went and the doctor gave me a jab of Phenergan - my lifesaver! Within 10 - 15 minutes I already felt better, he then gave me Phenergan tablets and told me to take them every 8 hours and it worked!

I now take Phenergan on every cruise I go on, and for Australian's you can purchase this at the chemist, no script needed and it's behind the counter. 

Before all my cruises now I start taking Phenergan the day before, this is key with any sort of travel sickness medication you take, it just means it's already completely in your system before you board. I then take a tablet every 8 hours, I even have a system 7am, 3pm and 11pm - this is when I'd take a tablet. 

The worst sea day, leaving Australia anyway, is always the first day, so if you were going to be sick it'd be then. I noticed both times I cruised the Caribbean I barely felt the ship move, so I haven't bothered to take anything after deciding the seas weren't that rough. Pretty much if I felt good and the seas weren't that rough, I wouldn't take anything, but as soon as I felt anything I'd grab a tablet straight away.

Keep in mind, if you do choose to take Phenergan, it can make you sleepy. Straight after I take one I try and do some sort of activity so I can push past that 15 - 20 minute period of sleepiness.

Tip #2
The bigger the ship, the less it rocks. So maybe if you're fearful of getting sea sickness on a cruise, try and go on a bigger cruise ship first? Also the most modern ships have great stabilisers that help the ship not to move as much.

Tip #3
Something to consider when booking rooms, the higher level up the ship, the more you sway. If you have a cabin on Deck 12, compared to someone on Deck 6, the person on Deck 12 will feel far more motion than the person down further. I always aim to stay somewhere in the middle.

Tip #4
If you can afford it, get a balcony room! When you start to feel sick there is nothing worse than being a stuffy room. A balcony allows you to open the door and let the fresh air in. It really helps if you feel sick and you can just sit out there and feel the wind in your face, which feels amazing when you aren't feeling well. 

If you can't afford a balcony and you begin to feel sick, head for an open deck - just so you can get some fresh air. 

Tip #5
Some people find ginger really works. I know people that take ginger travel calm tablets, some eat ginger cookies or some order ginger ale to settle their stomach. This doesn't help me, but it can help people who don't get sea sickness as badly as I do.

Tip #6
It didn't work for me, but a few other kids I knew tried the pressure bands that go on your wrist. None of them felt sick while wearing these, even though we went through rough seas. I definitely feel like these work better on kids, because I know adults that have tried them and they still felt sick (me for example). So still debatable if they actually work, but the kids I know to have worn them haven't been sick.

Tip #7
If you're American (not sure if it's sold in other countries?) grab some Dramamine. When I did my 2 cruises from America I used this instead of Phenergan and it worked really well. Granted, I don't think Caribbean cruises are anywhere near as rocky as cruises leaving Australia, but still I feel like they helped and tonnes of other people I know that cruise in America take this. 

I also found this didn't leave me as drowsy as Phenergan, so there's that.





And there we go, these are my tips for helping to prevent sea sickness. Let me know in the comments below what you do if you suffer from sea sickness!



Love, Ali

You May Also Like

0 comments